Thursday, August 26, 2010

Camlann

I knew that my Sunday assignment a couple of weeks ago was just filler for the paper, which is a little bit discouraging when there is so much to shoot. In situations like that, to make myself actually work hard on the assignment, I have gotten used to envisioning a gallery online, which these days will be seen by more people than the single photo on the back page of the local section. So for this assignment about Camlann, a Medieval village and "living history museum" in Carnation, I wanted to do a series of diptychs, with a portrait and a detail side by side. I wasn't sure if this would be something that could go online, and to my disappointment, it wasn't (though I was not surprised in the least). So Erika Schultz, who was standing in that day as editor, encouraged me to put the diptychs up on my blog. Well, I didn't have a blog, but now I do. Thanks Erika. Here they are. You can also see the full gallery at The Seattle Times (un-diptyched) here.

Janelle Bighinatti (cq), of Seattle, shows off a shoe that she made during a festival at the Camlann Medieval Village, a living history museum, in Carnation on Sunday, August 15, 2010. Bighinatti plays the role of Elizabeth, a shoemaker in a rural English village in the year 1376.

A crown of flowers made by Ashley Swanlund (cq), of Duvall, hangs on display in her shop during a festival at the Camlann Medieval Village in Carnation on Sunday, August 15, 2010. As part of her year 1379 character, Swanlund sells flowers, herbs, and medicinal charms.

Rory Linden (cq), a blacksmith, a hook that he recently made during a festival at the Camlann Medieval Village in Carnation on Sunday, August 15, 2010. Linden demonstrates how to turn iron into nails and hooks to visitors. Outside of the village he is a knife maker.

Diana Peterson's (cq), of Duvall, sits in her shop during a festival at the Camlann Medieval Village in Carnation on Sunday, August 15, 2010. Peterson, of Duvall, plays Diana atte Wells, the village scribe.

Michelle Hansen (cq), displays a candle during a festival at the Camlann Medieval Village in Carnation on Sunday, August 15, 2010. Hansen plays the character of Lucy, the village Chandler.









No comments:

Post a Comment